The universe works in mysterious ways, doesn't it? Last week I was lamenting to a friend that I had a persistent travel bug but I had no idea how or when to satiate it. Then out of the blue Meghan rang me up to announce that we were invited to jaunt up to Boston this weekend with the Westin Copley Square.
I haven't been to Boston in years, and have wanted to return for quite some time. A girlfriend who went to college at Tufts surmised that if I love Philly (which I do) I will love Boston, so I can't wait to explore it with fresh eyes. I have a feeling this trip will fit right into my 'Arts, Eats & American History' series too, so stay tuned for a travel guide. In the meantime, I have to pack...
The vibe I'm going for with this short, not-quite-spring getaway to Boston is sort of a Parisian take on Americana, if you will. (Please don't act surprised that I'm overthinking a 36 hour trip and going so far as to give it a theme...) Essentially, I want to incorporate my current obsession with bandanas and sneakers with timeless staples and unfussy, travel-ready accessories. In order to master that look, I'm packing my Cuyana weekender with items that can easily be mixed and matched for day and night over the two-day duration of our adventure—in black, white and navy with pops of red and rich cognac leather. Here's what I'm dreaming of packing for my Boston weekend:
- A BREEZY TRENCH: I'm dying for one of those flowing, slouchy trench coats that's almost like a kimono, with sleeves that are so soft you can push them over your elbows comfortably, and I think I've found the one my heart desires, for just $149 via Mango. (If the weather doesn't behave, I'll revert to my favorite Club Monaco coat instead.)
- A DAY TO NIGHT TOP: As of late my Bridge and Burn 'Bea' top has become my absolute favorite shirt. I've worn it on just about every date I've had this year, and frequently wear it at work and on the weekends—it looks especially rad with my favorite Paige Denim black flare jeans.
- A DAY TO NIGHT CROSSBODY: I'm definitely packing my favorite little crossbody bag from Forever 21 (last seen here) that doubles as both an easy walk around all day bag and a step out at night mini.
- A WISHFUL THINKING DRESS: The temperature is supposed to be in the mid-50s, so I may even dare to bare my calves and rock this timeless Breton stripe dress from Petite Bateau.
- MY 'SWEATER AS BAE' KNIT: I finally got Equipment's essential 'Sloane' sweater in grey, which if it weren't so special, I'd probably wear every single day. I love this sweater more than
- KICKS ON KICKS: I know that we'll probably spend most of our weekend on foot (Boston has been called America's most walkable city, did you know that?) so I'm probably just going to switch between two pairs of sneakers—my favorite Stan Smiths and my leather Vans.
- BREAKFAST IN BED-WORTH PJS: While I know it's a little splurgy, I couldn't resist treating myself to this darling pajama set from Three J NYC, which will be perfect for cozying up with Meghan this weekend and ordering room service—as well as for the long wedding weekend I have coming up down in DC.
- A WEATHER-READY HAT: The forecast looks like rain for at least part of our weekend, so having a great wide-brim felt hat is essential—I'm currently obsessed with this one from Goorin Bros.
- THE BAG THAT GOES EVERYWHERE: For magazines, headphones, my iPad and snacks, my trusty Madewell Transport tote, obviously.
- YE OLDE WHISKEY NIP: I've never felt that having a bottle of Four Roses stowed away in my bag was a bad decision...
// SHOP MY BOSTON PACKING LIST BELOW //